If you thought your home was clean, you may want to think again. It doesn’t matter how spotless your living room looks, some dirty things just cannot be seen by the naked human eye. These disgusting facts will help you understand just how important getting professional carpet cleaning is.
- Every year, countless pounds of soil can build up underneath a carpet.
- A human will shed 1.5 million skin flakes every hour, almost all of which lay embedded in carpets.
- Dust mites love living in carpets where they can feast off skin flakes and live in the warm environment your carpet provides.
- Mature fleas also love the dry, warm environment of a carpet and will often find a home there.
- If you have a fireplace in your home and a carpet nearby it, watch out for a strange little bug known as a “fire brat.” It will eat almost anything.
- The air inside homes or other buildings generally contains twice as much dust as outdoor spaces do. Studies suggest that around 43 million tons of dust will fall every year in the United States alone. And approximately 2,000 dust mites can live comfortably on one ounce of carpet dust.
- A palm flower moth caterpillar will find living underneath carpets very enjoyable and often make their cocoon there.
- The carcinogens in cigarettes can become burrowed in your home’s carpet if you are a smoker. Because pets and children often are playing at the ground level, this can put them at increased risk for developing lung cancer.
- All carpets should be cleaned ever 12 to 18 months at the minimum (a less disgusting fact).